Clear · 82°

Motor Vehicles


Title transfers are processed BY APPOINTMENT ONLY.  Registration renewals and plate exchanges do not need an appointment.


 *** A BILL OF SALE will be REQUIRED in Marion County for all title transfers starting January 1, 2022. ***

Renew your motor vehicle tags online or schedule an appointment for motor vehicle title transfers.


Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Title Transfers are by appointment.  Registrations and Vanity Plates do not need an appointment. 

** A BILL OF SALE will be REQUIRED for all title transfers in Marion County starting on January 1, 2022. **

Book an Appointment

Motor Vehicle Renewals

  • Motor vehicle registration is due annually.  Your registration month can be changed once through the life of ownership (i.e. vehicles cannot be renewed six months at a time).
  • Courtesy registration renewal notices go out the month before registration is due. 
  • There is a three-month window to renew; payments can be made the month before, the month of or the month after your registration is due without being penalized if driving in Iowa.
  • The following vehicles are NOT allowed to renew online include:
    • IRP (prorate),
    • Firefighter vehicles due to the annual certification,  
    • Personalized plates that have been expired for more than 30 days, 
    • Customers with outstanding debts.

Renew your vehicle tags online with an e-Check for .25 cents (less than a postage stamp) or a  debit/credit card for 2.25% of the total due.

If renewing online, you must have your PIN.  Your PIN is located on your renewal notice. If you do not have this renewal notice, please call or email our office.  NOTE: This pin is specific to you and should not change, therefore  the same PIN can be used annually.

Payment Methods

  • In office with cash, check or card (cards accepted for an additional fee), 
    • Accepted credit cards: MasterCard, Visa, Discover
  • Dropbox which is located outside the south entrance of the courthouse, 
  • Mail (if at the end of the month, mail must be postmarked to not incur penalties)
  • By phone with a card or the applicable fee of 2.25% of the total due

Pay Online with PIN

You may email any questions to [email protected]

Motor Vehicle Title Transfers

Book Appointment

You may self-schedule an appointment to transfer a title by booking an appointment.

** A BILL OF SALE will be REQUIRED for all title transfers in Marion County starting on January 1, 2022. **

Book an Appointment

  • Autos, trucks, motor homes, motorcycles, campers, mobile homes, and trailers greater than 2,001 lbs are titled within the state of Iowa.
  • Trailers less than or equal to 2,000 lbs are issued registration only.
  • A bill of sale will be REQUIRED for all title transfers in Marion County starting January 1, 2022. 

  • New owners have 30 days from the date of purchase to change their title. Penalties start after 30 days.
  • New owners can drive their new vehicle for 30 days from purchase date without plates on as long as previous owners had current registration. 
    • The owner must carry properly assigned title or bill of sale and proof of insurance if stopped by law enforcement.
  • Odometer required for vehicles 20 years and newer Odometer Disclosure Statement
  • Damage Disclosure Statement required for vehicles 7 years and newer

If you are unable to visit the office, you may call (641) 828-2202 or email copies of your paperwork to [email protected]. We will help you complete the necessary paperwork and calculate the amount due for the transfer.  You may then deposit the documents and payment into our dropbox on the south side of the courthouse, or mail the paperwork to us at Marion County Treasurer, 214 E Main St, Ste 9, Knoxville, IA  50138.

Selling a Vehicle

Upon selling your vehicle to a private individual, you should:

  • Sign on the signature of seller line on the back of the title, 
  • Print on the printed name of seller line back of the title,
  • Complete a bill of sale including both parties' names, date of sale and purchase price.  Both parties should keep a copy for their records.
  • Complete the odometer reading (required for vehicles 20 years and newer),
  • Complete the damage disclosure statement (only required for vehicles 9 years and newer),
  • Take the license plates off the vehicle and return them to our office.
    • This is how we can apply for a refund for any unused registration for $10 or more.
    • Even if there is no refund, this is the only way we can get those license plates out of your name.
    • If the new owner(s) drives away with your license plates on the vehicle, there could be a liability for an accident, ticket or other occurrences they might be involved in.   
    • By signing the title and/or issuing a bill of sale to the new owner(s), they are able to drive the vehicle within the state of Iowa for 30 days from the date of purchase. 
  • If you sell a vehicle, always take your license plate off and return it to your county Treasurers office! 

Dealer Licenses & Information

If you’re interested in becoming a licensed motor vehicle dealer within the state of Iowa, please find more information directly from the Iowa DOT on their website or you can receive more information by contacting motor vehicle enforcement at (866) 908-4636 or by email at [email protected].

Dealer Complaints

Complaint forms from the Bureau of Investigation and Identity Protection are used for resolving situations such as:

  • Not receiving or delivering title in the allotted time
  • False odometer statements
  • Complaints concerning licensed dealers or license violations
  • Complaints involving driver’s license fraud and related identity theft

Further information can be found on the Iowa DOT website.

New to Iowa?

 To register your vehicle in Iowa, you will need:

  • Your out-of-state title, or a copy of your title, or your out-of-state registration and
  • Completed and signed application for certificate of Iowa title and/or registration (Form 411007) by all owners. 

Iowa law requires you to register your motor vehicle within the county that you reside within 30 days of the date you establish residency.  Iowa registration is required even though you still have valid license plates in another state.   You would contact your previous state for the best way to dispose of their license plates.  

If you are providing an out-of-state registration or a copy of your out-of-state title, you will be required to obtain an Iowa title if /when you sell the vehicle in Iowa.  If your title is at a lienholder, you may contact them to notify them of your change of residency and request the title be mailed to us for updating.  You can always wait until the vehicle is paid in full and bring the title in at that time. 

Fees are as follows:

  • Iowa Title Fee = $25.00
  • Iowa Lien Fee = $10.00
  • Iowa Registration = Variable.  
    In Iowa, vehicle rates are based on make, model, year, weight and list price.  However, vehicles that are 12 years or older are a flat rate of $50/year. You may call or email our office with the VIN of your vehicle to verify the annual fee. 

Is this a leased vehicle? If your vehicle is a leased vehicle, the lessee will need to complete the application for certificate of title and/or registration for a leased vehicle (Iowa DOT Form 411179) to receive plates and registration. 

For more information about motor vehicles, please check out our frequently asked questions section. 

Motor Vehicles FAQ

Back · Marion County Treasurer