*** IMPORTANT NOTICE!! THE KNOXVILLE HOMECOMING PARADE WILL LIMIT ACCESS TO THE COURTHOUSE ON SEPTEMBER 30. PAY TAXES AND REGISTRATION RENEWALS EARLY! ***
Title transfers are processed BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. Registration renewals, plate exchanges, and other transactions do not need an appointment.
*** A BILL OF SALE will be REQUIRED in Marion County for all title transfers starting January 1, 2022. ***
The following topics are covered in this section:
- Motor Vehicle Registration Renewals
- Motor Vehicle Title Transfers
- How to transfer a vehicle if you are unable to visit the office in person
- Selling a Vehicle (i.e. Bill of Sale requirements, license plates)
- How to Order a Replacement Title
- New to Iowa?
- Dealer Licenses & Information
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Title Transfers are by appointment. Registrations and Vanity Plates do not need an appointment.
*** Busy times: Mondays, Fridays, lunch hours, and the beginning dates and end dates of each month. Please plan ahead for these times so we may eliminate wait times for you. ***
Motor Vehicle Renewals
- Motor vehicle registration is due annually. Your registration month can be changed once through the life of ownership (i.e. vehicles cannot be renewed six months at a time).
- Courtesy registration renewal notices go out the month before registration is due.
- There is a three-month window to renew; payments can be made the month before, the month of or the month after your registration is due without being penalized if driving in Iowa.
- The following vehicles NOT allowed to renew online include:
- IRP (prorate),
- Firefighter vehicles due to the annual certification,
- Personalized plates that have been expired for more than 30 days,
- Customers with outstanding debts.
Renew your vehicle tags online www.iowatreasurers.org with an e-Check for .25 cents (less than a postage stamp) or a debit/credit card for 2.25% of the total due.
If renewing online, you must have your PIN. Your PIN is located on your renewal notice. If you do not have this renewal notice, please call or email our office. NOTE: This pin is specific to you and should not change, therefore the same PIN can be used annually.
- In office with cash, check or card (cards accepted for an additional fee),
- Accepted credit cards: MasterCard, Visa, Discover
- Dropbox which is located outside the south entrance of the courthouse,
- Mail (if at the end of the month, mail must be postmarked to not incur penalties)
- By phone with a card or the applicable fee of 2.25% of the total due
*** Checks should be made out to Marion County Treasurer. All returned checks or online payments are assessed an additional charge of $25.00. ***
You may email any questions to [email protected]
Title transfers are done by appointment only. You may self-schedule an appointment to transfer a title by clicking this convenient button:
** A BILL OF SALE will be REQUIRED for all title transfers in Marion County starting on January 1, 2022. **
- Autos, trucks, motor homes, motorcycles, campers, mobile homes, and trailers greater than 2,001 lbs are titled within the state of Iowa.
- Trailers less than or equal to 2,000 lbs are issued registration only.
- New owners have 30 days from the date of purchase to change their title. Penalties start after 30 days.
- New owners can drive their new vehicle for 30 days from purchase date without plates on as long as previous owners had current registration.
- The owner must carry properly assigned title or bill of sale and proof of insurance if stopped by law enforcement.
- Odometer required for vehicles 20 years and newer Odometer Disclosure Statement
- Damage Disclosure Statement required for vehicles 7 years and newer
The Marion County Sheriff’s Office performs salvage vehicle theft exams by appointment. You can schedule an appointment to have a salvage titled vehicle inspection through the Sheriff's office page.
*** IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO VISIT THE OFFICE... ***
... you may call (641) 828-2202 or email copies of your paperwork (include a phone number) to [email protected]. We will help you complete the necessary paperwork and calculate the amount due for the transfer.
** All title transfers require a completed and signed application for certificate of Iowa title and/or registration (Form 411007). **
Please be prepared to provide the following information for us:
- What is the purchase price of the vehicle? *** Note: Beginning Jan 1, 2022, a Bill of Sale will be required with EVERY title transfer ***
- Is the vehicle 7 years old or newer? If yes, you will need to complete an Iowa Damage Disclosure Statement (Form Form 411108)
- Is the vehicle a 2011 or newer model? If yes, you will need to provide the current odometer in the space provided on the title assignment.
- Do you need new license plates? If so, in what month do you want your sticker due? If you are transferring plates from a sold vehicle, please provide us that Iowa license plate number.
- Is there a lienholder? If so, please provide the correct name, address, and FEIN of your bank, credit union, or other entity.
*** If you are bringing in a title transfer on behalf of a friend or family member, please book an appointment using this website ***
Once we calculate the fees by phone or email, you may then deposit the completed documents and payment into our 24/7 Dropbox on the south side of the courthouse, or mail the paperwork to us at Marion County Treasurer, 214 E Main St, Ste 9, Knoxville, IA 50138. You may also pay over the phone by credit card for a 2.25% fee.
*** Checks should be made out to Marion County Treasurer ***
Upon selling your vehicle to a private individual, you should:
- Sign on the signature of seller line on first assignment on the back of the title,
- Enter the Date of Sale,
- Print on the printed name of seller line back of the title,
- Make sure the buyer completes the top line of the assignment with their legal name and address,
- Complete a bill of sale including both parties' names, date of sale and purchase price. Both parties should keep a copy for their records. All counties now require this to complete a transfer.
- Complete the odometer reading (required for vehicles 20 years and newer),
- Complete the damage disclosure statement (only required for vehicles 7 years and newer),
- ALWAYS TAKE THE LICENSE PLATES OFF THE VEHICLE and return them to our office.
- This is how we can apply for a refund for any unused registration for $10 or more.
- Even if there is no refund, this is the only way we can get those license plates out of your name.
- If the new owner(s) drives away with your license plates on the vehicle, there could be a liability for an accident, ticket or other criminal occurrences they might be involved in.
- By signing the title and obtaining a bill of sale to the new owner(s), the buyer is able to drive the vehicle within the state of Iowa for 30 days from the date of purchase.
*** Download and complete Form 411033 from the Iowa DOT website. ***
- There is a 5-day waiting period if the original title is lost.
(If the original tite is in your possession but has been altered or spoiled in some way, please submit the original title to us along with Form 411033 - there is no waiting period; we will process a replacement title in the same day.)
Please note the following:
- Anybody whose name is on the face of the title MUST sign the replacement application.
- The replacement title must be ordered in the county where the original title was processed.
- You do not need an appointment to order a replacement title. You may use our drop box, mail the form to us, or bring it to our walk-up window at the Treasurer's office.
The fee is $25.00.
New to Iowa?
To register your vehicle in Iowa, you will need:
- Your out-of-state title, or a copy of your title, or your out-of-state registration and
- Completed and signed application for certificate of Iowa title and/or registration (Form 411007) by all owners.
* Please note, if you plan on transferring your drivers license and motor vehicle records, you will need two appointments; one with drivers license and one with motor vehicle title transfers.
Iowa law requires you to register your motor vehicle within the county that you reside within 30 days of the date you establish residency. Iowa registration is required even though you still have valid license plates in another state. You would contact your previous state for the best way to dispose of their license plates.
If you are providing an out-of-state registration or a copy of your out-of-state title, you will be required to obtain an Iowa title if /when you sell the vehicle in Iowa. If your title is at a lienholder, you may contact them to notify them of your change of residency and request the title be mailed to us for updating. You can always wait until the vehicle is paid in full and bring the title in at that time.
Fees are as follows:
- Iowa Title Fee = $25.00
- Iowa Lien Fee = $10.00
- Iowa Registration = Variable.
In Iowa, vehicle rates are based on make, model, year, weight and list price. However, vehicles that are 12 years or older are a flat rate of $50/year. You may call or email our office with the VIN of your vehicle to verify the annual fee.
Is this a leased vehicle? If your vehicle is a leased vehicle, the lessee will need to complete the application for certificate of title and/or registration for a leased vehicle (Iowa DOT Form 411179) to receive plates and registration.
Dealer Licenses & Information
If you’re interested in becoming a licensed motor vehicle dealer within the state of Iowa, please find more information directly from the Iowa DOT on their website or you can receive more information by contacting motor vehicle enforcement at (866) 908-4636 or by email at [email protected].
Complaint forms from the Bureau of Investigation and Identity Protection are used for resolving situations such as:
- Not receiving or delivering title in the allotted time
- False odometer statements
- Complaints concerning licensed dealers or license violations
- Complaints involving driver’s license fraud and related identity theft
Further information can be found on the Iowa DOT website.
For more information about motor vehicles, please check out our frequently asked questions section.